Cricket

Australian man at center of Pakistan tour threatens with death

Australian man at center of Pakistan tour threatens with death

Ashton Agar’s partner has received a chilling death threat over the Australian cricketer. Photo: Instagram

Allrounder Ashton Agar has found himself at the center of an alarming death threat after landing in Islamabad to The Australian Tour to Pakistan.

The threat centers around a social media post sent to Agar’s partner, warning her that there would be dire consequences if her husband traveled to Pakistan for the Australian cricket tour.

“FAR FROM THE TRUTH”: Pat Cummins denies Justin Langer’s theory

‘LOVE DOING IT’: Shane Warne raises his hand for England coaching job

“This is a warning to your husband Ashton Agar. If he comes on tour against Pakistan, he will not return (home) alive,” the message read.

“Your children will miss their father if he comes to Pakistan. Our snipers will blow his head off.”

The message was immediately reported to the relevant authorities, with an investigation by Cricket Australia (CA) and the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) determining that it was “not considered a risk”.

It is understood that the threat is not considered credible after coming from a fake Instagram account.

Local news outlets in Pakistan reported the threat came from India as an attempt to disrupt Australia’s tour of its subcontinent neighbours.

“Cricket Australia is aware of a social media post, the nature and content of which has been investigated by the PCB, the AC and the combined government security processes,” a statement from the AC read.

“Extensive security plans are in place for this type of social media activity, which in this case is not considered a risk. No further comments will be made at this time. »

Seen here Australian cricketer Ashton Agar gets off a bus for the ICC T20 World Cup.

Investigations revealed that the threat against Ashton Agar was not deemed credible. Photo: Getty

These security plans include approximately 4,000 police and military personnel who will accompany the Australian team throughout their six-week tour of Pakistan.

Test captain Pat Cummins says he feels “incredibly safe” after landing on Sunday for what is Australia’s first tour of Pakistan in 24 years.

Cummins will lead Australia in an away test match for the first time when they face the hosts in Rawalpindi on Friday.

The test is the first of three, ahead of a trio of one-day internationals and a Twenty20 international.

Pakistan has been forced to host international matches in the United Arab Emirates since a terrorist attack on the Sri Lanka team bus in 2009.

Aussie players feel ‘incredibly safe’ in Pakistan

But Cummins, who will lead a strong Australian side following the success of his Ashes campaign, said players’ concerns had been allayed by a delegation from Cricket Australia ensuring proper safety standards were met.

“I feel incredibly safe and we have been very well looked after by the Pakistan Cricket Board,” Cummins said.

“There was a lot of security on arrival. We were immediately off the plane and straight to the hotel.

“We have a pretty good setup and we will be confined to the hotel except for games and training.

“We’ve traveled to places like India where you don’t leave the hotel too much, so we’re used to it.

“It’s comforting and we are really lucky to be surrounded by so many professionals.

“One of the factors that we wanted to be really thorough about before coming here was not just safety, but also biosecurity.

“Everyone did a fantastic job so we can just focus on the cricket and really enjoy our first tour here in 24 years.”

with the AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest stories from Australia and around the world.